1. The Bible is God’s word - written down for every age, including our own.
2. God confronts me to connect with me.
3. Presumption is the perennial counterfeit to saving faith.
“Say to them, “As I live, declares the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but that the wicked turn from his way and live.”” Ezekiel 33:11a (similar words in 18:23 + 32)
A. Dear Lord, please deliver me from all traces of presumption, entitlement and self-satisfaction. Instead, by Your grace, make me a disciple of Jesus gripped by the Gospel living for Your glory.
B. Dear Lord, please deliver me from all vain, false and self-congratulatory listening to Your word. Please make me a disciple of Jesus gripped by the Gospel who is learning to listen to Your word humbly, deeply, obediently and well, so that I will live for Your glory.
4. Social structures, customs and institutions can be powerful forces leading me away from saving faith in Jesus.
5. The sacrificial death of Jesus upon the cross, is God’s subversive fulfillment of idolatry.
C. Dear Lord, please make me a disciple of Jesus gripped by the Gospel, who has a heart for the world, not a heart formed by the world, so that I will daily live for Your glory.
D. Dear Lord, I turn from the from the hopes of this world, from all idolatry, and from all presumption. I turn to You. I turn to Jesus Christ crucified, Your Son and my Saviour. I open myself unreservedly to the Holy Spirit. Please make me a disciple of Jesus gripped by the Gospel living for Your glory. Thank You. AMEN.